SFL 371: Work and Relationships in the Home.
I go to class for 3 hours twice a week, and it is just about the highlight of my week. My teacher is awesome, students share insightful comments, and I actually THINK about morals and issues that affect the way I live. I would rather read for class than watch a movie, or even sleep. Granted, sometimes the articles get long, but I really do some deep thinking as I compare and contrast modernist perspectives and consider how mentalities and times have affected home and family living. Here are some of the topics that we discussed in class which I considered writing about for my first paper:- The relational nature of individuals
- The inseparability of the temporal and the spiritual
- Agency: Freedom from virtue vs. freedom from vices
- Efficiency in terms of the home and family/Industrialized America
- The lost effects of physical labor. Value content of daily living
- The idea of "love made flesh." Work gives love a place to mean something
- Time vs. task orientation
- Simultaneously glorifying and devaluing the home
- Values vs. Value
- Traditions: creating "norms for thought"
- Exploring "culture." What is culture, what does it mean to "be cultured?"
- Defining standards and means of evaluation
- Education vs. Training as a means of learning
I submit that real education happens when we are changed because of what we learn. I'm not really the biggest fan of Universities, where by nature, evaluation is determined in test scores, and students memorize formulas and definitions for recall. True education is where I learn in terms of contact and context. It is a process that I believe started before I was born, and creates the traditions, discipline, and unspoken attitudes that define my perspective. Training on the other hand is a process of conditioning. An orderly and efficient way to learn a pattern of facts and functions.
I feel very passionate about each of the said discussions and have already learned a ton in just 2 weeks of classes! I could blog extensively about each of these ideas, but I won't subject you to that! If there is a specific idea that particularly interests you though, I would love to discuss it :)

4 comments:
Can I PLEASE borrow your packet when you're done? I promise to return it.
I loved the one class I attended with you--I thought the ideas about the connection between the spiritual and physical were more concrete than most I had read and even though I was familiar with Pres. Kimball's talk, I read it with new perspective born of experience (age!)
what a fantastic class... if Belle borrows the manual, mebbe i can read it too!
Do they teach you in that class to avoid your siblings' phone calls?
WHERE ARE MY TACOS, GIRL?
:)
Post a Comment