Sunday, June 21

My Dad is the One...

I love my Dad. If you know me well, then you know that my relationship with him is, well, awesome. My dad loves me SO much and I love him SO much back! Although it doesn't do justice, here is my best attempt to put into words the lessons and the life I've learned from him: He was my very first date when I turned 16 :)
My dad is the one who gives me perspective when I feel like the world is ending. My dad is the one who slides down waterfalls with me in Samoa. My dad is the one who gets up early to read scriptures as a family. My Dad is the one who celebrates my victories!

(Big credit to mom for being ready and willing with the camera the moment my BYU acceptance letter came!) My dad is the one who verbally tells us kids that he loves us. He is the one who tucked me in and kissed me even though I was already asleep. My dad is the one who makes my friends feel comfortable and welcome. My dad is the one who does what he asks others to do. My dad is the one who takes me on outings like the tulip festival where we can enjoy nature together. My dad is the one who encourages me to set written goals and be intentional about traditions. My dad is the one who taught me to manage money and recognize the difference between needs and wants. My dad is the one who showcases his flexibility and strength at tactful moments which make for an incredible family history! My dad is the one who sacrifices his personal space when I am needy.

My dad is the one who writes me into his busy schedule; because he wants to. My dad is the one who is sensitive to others' needs and selflessly fulfills them. My dad is the one who emails me mid-week, just for fun. He cares for my spiritual, as well as my physical needs. My dad is the one who flips pancakes in the morning and pulls weeds before a bike ride.
My dad is the one who leads so dutifully and honorably. He is the one who listens and learns, and humbly invites those around him to rise up. My dad is also the one who wears his gold toe socks until the holes become so large his foot fits through them... My dad is the one who throws a baseball with me and helps me earn merit badges even though I'm a girl. My dad is the one who keeps his word. My dad is the one who uses the run and jump method to wake me up for seminary! My dad is the one who looks for opportunities to play doctor :) My dad is the one who appreciates the arts and exposes me to quality entertainment. My dad is the one who doesn't kill me when I eat Saltine's and Ritz crackers on his side of the bed :) My dad is the one who seeks adventure and goes with the flow when mom and I plan a new crazy scheme. My dad is the one who is respected by Young Men and makes sure the youth know of his love for them. My dad is the one who finds the humor in slipping on a floor sprayed with WD40! My dad is the one who shows that he values education by promoting school events and helping me with math homework no matter the cost. My dad is the one who listens to my heart when my words don't convey how I feel. My dad is the one who married my mom in the temple for time and all eternity!

7 comments:

Shawna said...

Great tribute Stef, and it's all true!

Can't wait to hear the EFY adventures!

NatalieD said...

You do have a fabulous father, and he has darling daughters and a super son.

Noelle said...

WOW that was a great post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that and plan on reading it again before I switch blogs. The wood floor/Pledge incident had me cracking up as well as the "run and jump" method to wake you up for seminary. Though you complained at the time, I bet you really liked those four years when you were the only kid left at home. Lots of extra attention and movie nights where you could eat saltines and ritz in bed with mom. :)

Heather said...

Dad is the one with the gi-NOR-mous pit stains in that last picture.

Seriously though, a beautiful tribute. I'm sure he loved it. I know I did. Wish I could see the run and jump method . . .

Noelle said...

Heather's comment couldn't keep me from laughing out loud a little bit at work. :) I am glad I didn't get quite as many sweat jeans as dad has.

Noelle said...

Sorry, last comment (for now) I had two more things I wanted to mention.

1. Who were you on the phone with when you got your BYU letter? I love that you were wearing your BYU hoodie

2. I'd just like to point out to everyone in the doctor picture, just how HARD Stef was squeezing my arm. I hope that picture makes the next "top 10 things I love about Noelle" post --she is my own personal claw-pillow.

gwt said...

Wow. I loved the post and felt a little self conscious. I smiled, giggled a bit and had a fun wander down memory lane. Thanks Stefanie for the love and for the memories. It is fun to think about all the weird things we have done together isn't it. We love having you home for a visit. See you Saturday.

P.S. Thanks for all the comments too. It really was hot in Samoa!