Friday, October 31

Grief in REAL life.

1. Denial
When my Macbook froze last night, I calmly turned it off and attempted to restart it. It made a clicking sound and refused to move past the dreaded blue screen. And I thought Macs were exempt...

2. Anger
I was MAD all day long. Like mad, mad. I had to go to school at 7am for work and then finish an assignment for my noon class. People kept talking to me and wanting praise for their costumes but I had to just work. It's not like I could just whip out my laptop in the library to finish the assignment...

3. Bargaining
This was a desperate plea with the Lord. I just begged to have my hard drive back, or at least let me get my recent pictures, my music (which is now ALL gone) and most importantly, all my school documents from the semester thus far. Fried hard drives are really the pits.

4. Depression
I think I am currently morphing from depression to acceptance. I am so so sad. I just feel this major loss. The kind that gives you a pit in your stomach.

5. Acceptance

I'm not there yet, but I don't feel repulsed when people tell me "It's just a computer" anymore. It really is true though, at least my family is safe and my future bright. It is just a computer. It's a mercy for blogging because the pictures I posted there are the only ones I have to keep forever.

~Condolences are accepted. And appreciated.~

7 comments:

Hermana Whitehead said...

Stefanie,

I'm so sorry. That is the pits, isn't it? I lost every picture and document a few years ago (through human error - a person whose name rhymes with Bomb). I can laugh about it now... But then, it was the worst feeling in the world. I'll grieve with you.

Are you sure it's fried? Do you know someone with a computer major who could help, or the Geek Squad from Best Buy, maybe.

Good luck Stefanie, my heart aches for you, but like you said, it could be so much worse.

Heather said...

That is the total pits. I cannot believe it happened to you. False advertising for Mac, says I.

It makes me want to go back up my hard drive right now.

I lost all my music too with the last crash. Kind Bry just sent me some MP3 files to put back on so I have something.

This is how i felt after losing all the Christmas pictures. Then imagine my joy at receiving your full-size copies on cd!

May the healing process help you.

Shawna said...

My condolences, Stef. It is the pits, alright! Glad other things in your life are good. Much love to you from your friend,Shawna

Alison Spencer said...

I'm sure you could have already guessed this but, you have my deep and heartfelt condolences. I guess I might have to rethink my idea of macs being invincible.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

This bites. A lot. I know what a picture fanatic you are. Now they're gone. What can you do? Nothing. That's horrible: feeling powerless, especially over aspects of your own life. I'm not going to say "it's just a computer" because it's not. It's also a history, a story, and an identity. I know I can't make it better but I can tell you that you definitely made my day today when we played with chalk. Good call.

Noelle said...

I'm so sorry. You've inspired me to get an external hard drive and back up all my pics and music, even on a mac. I love your scarf! I'm wearing my matching pink one today.

Bryan Tanner said...

My condolences are yours Stef. Losing that much is a lot to process.