Sunday, November 2

Turns out... I cry.

The thing about blogging is that I can share happy things, sad things, funny things, hard things, spiritual things... I can share anything I want with the people I love. (That is another reason I support private blogging, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so if just anyone could access it!)

Turns out... I cry. What an emotional weekend it has been!
I cry because my computer is dead.
Memories gone. Access denied. And there is absolutely nothing I can do.

I cry because jump rope isn't part of my life.
People I love. Emotions I miss. A world that moves on without me.

I cry because my heart is hurting.
People have power. Confusion is real. Individuals have agency.

Trials help me grow.

Here is a short list of things I am grateful for today:
1. My family who loves me, knows me and is always there for me.
2. I am going to live in Jerusalem!!!
3. I have close relationships with people who love me for being me (namely NZ friends.)
4. My testimony of the atonement and my relationship with the Savior.
5. The ease of living in an industrialized nation.
6. My ability to get a quality education here at BYU.
7. The rain. It reminds me of my 2 favorite places. Home and New Zealand :)
8. Fun activities to anticipate! (Let's be honest, I get more and more excited for gingerbread statue building every day!)
9. Friendships and personalities I can learn from at school, work and in my ward.
10. I am grateful to have people I can care for and serve.

Isn't it great that Heavenly Father knows us so perfectly and loves us so infinitely that only He knows how to best help us? He will not abandon His most precious children when we are in need. And isn't it great that the Lord knows what is best for His children so well that He is even willing to watch us suffer- to let our hearts hurt? Having a gospel perspective does not rid us of pain, but it sure gives perspective that helps us recognize our blessings and find hope in His plan for us.

10 comments:

Noelle said...

Good, cuz Christmas Gingerbread is gonna ROCK this year. :) Can't wait to see you in only a few short weeks!!!

NatalieD said...

I'm VERY sorry about your computer. Invest in an external hard drive and you will save yourself the pain and loss when it happens again.

heidi said...

Sorry to hear about the tough times. I understand. Good luck with everything. Call me if you need anything or someone to chat with.

Sarah Lunt said...

Oh Sef, I'm SO sorry to hear about your loss. I know I would feel heartbroken too. It's more than a computer, it's a home to my memories, a way to share those memories with others. I loved your gratitude post though, I think at a time like this that's all that can help.
Big hug,
Sarah

Sarah Lunt said...

oh, and now I'm sorry that I left the ever important "t" out of your name. lol

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing all sides of yourself. I can't wait to see you super soon!

Janssen said...

I can't wait to hear all about your time in Jerusalem. What an experience!

Shawna said...

I'm glad you could tell me about things that make you cry. Things will get better, but knowing that doesn't help the here and now. I love you!

Bryan Tanner said...

Emotive poetry Stef. I hope you're starting to feel a little better now.

Julie T said...

Soemtimes I guess there are certain tests that we need to go through-and this was one you needed that may have been close to "having other gods before me"! Hopefully that's all you need to suffer big time in that area! Hope each week that passes makes the hurt you've experienced fade!