I just got my dream job! Like DREAM job!!!
I've been debating whether or not to work in the fall. While in town this week I just decided to give it a go and investigate the employment world. Little did I know I would walk away with the position of a lifetime. I don't believe any job I ever find will be amazing as this one :)
Friday morning: I went to the student employment office, talked to the secretary, looked at the board, copied off some contact info... you know the drill. I didn't find anything too exciting, but hey, some fair options.

Friday afternoon: I forgot the website to look up jobs online. Just tinkering around I tried the winning web address and had access to the current job postings. These are more accurate than the ones posted on the wall of the office, so I was glad to see what the website offered. Still a bunch of nothing, until... I scrolled down to "Photographer." Immediately interested, I click on it only to learn that the position is offered by the Center for Service and Learning!!! The same department I worked for as an Office Assistant last summer/fall. I email Ronnalee the Office Coordinator and notify her I'll be in to chat Monday morning :)
Monday morning: I step into the office and everyone shouts my name and begins clapping! Ronnalee was meeting with another student, so I went straight in to chat with Casey (head honcho) about what they were looking for in a photographer and the goals of the center. Basically there is this new program at BYU called "Mentored Student Employment" where they pay students (far more than normal on-campus pay) to specialize in an area, or a trade sort of thing, for one of the BYU departments. Well the center has only taken advantage of this program once before with my sweet co-worker Mindy who specialized in event planning. So my wage is coming out of this outside program, not the Center for Service, which is awesome! The job is posted as 5-7 hours per week, but Casey said its totally flexible, it's just however long I need to do the job really. He could hire one more photographer, but at this point we're going to try just me and see how it goes.

Turns out Ronnalee had been creating the job profile to put online but "accidentally" published it about 2 weeks early. She meant to save it when she pushed submit, causing it to be displayed right as I was looking into jobs. Casey and Ronnalee don't believe in accidents but instead believe that my finding the job was a blessing to everyone and a miracle Heavenly Father placed in all of our lives. Can I tell you how great it is to feel loved and appreciated by people who give all the credit to the Lord? They were seriously rejoicing to have me back and the 3 "bosses" can hardly wait for our meeting Wednesday morning :)
Pros of the job:
-I want to stay in touch with the center. It is such a great place run by such great people who commit to doing great things. Service is the heart of these people's lives and they are the kind of folk I seek to surround myself with.
-I get to create my own job title :) Casey says decide on whatever will look the best on resume!
-My boss is GREAT. Casey is just the best. I know he cares about me as a person before me as
an employee.
- I will have reason to keep shooting come fall! It would be easy, and sad to let photography slip down my priority list as school, work and social life pick up speed. I am THRILLED!
-And are you ready for the kicker? I get up to $2000 to spend on a camera and equipment. Can you believe it? They're just like, "you know more about cameras than we do so compile a few options to present to us Monday and we'll just get you the tools you need." Um, DREAM JOB. DREAM LIFE! HELLO?!?!?!
Cons of the job: Lets see... None :)
Why I'm a perfect fit:
-I already have a relationship with the people.
-I know exactly how the center works administration wise.
-I have experience with several of the programs, and those I have not participated with, I know the program directors and have recruited volunteers for their program in the past!
-I have an internal love for service and for the center, so I won't freak out about pay and such, just do my job and do it to the fullest!!!

I know that it was not a coincidence for me to get this job. I am so grateful to be blessed in so many ways, more than I ever thought possible. This job didn't even exist a week ago... I love the Lord and I'm grateful to lead a HAPPY life!

7 comments:
Congrats on your new job! That does sound amazing--and sorry I missed your call. I was doing the dishes and I didn't hear my phone go off. I hope you have a great week and fun back home too--before you come back out to Provo.
CONGRATULATIONS! That´s so awesome. You´ll do great and what a great experience. We´ll toast to you with our mango juice this morning. love.
Stef! That is so exciting about your job! It really sounds perfect.
I just got back in town, and I got your voicemail, but I dropped my phone in water so I don't have your number to call you back! CAll me again or send me your number somehow! I would love to catch up!
That is a blessing Stef! WOWEE! Call me.
You are seriously SO blessed! I am envious of your killer college job. I'd totally do that if I could've in college. You're perfect. So so happy for you Stef!
Somebody loves ya! It's the best thing in the world to recognize one's blessings! BTW, I have loved listening to My Shiny Teeth and Me-you were right about that song. And in just 3 days, I get to hear Ryan Shupe perform his Dream Big at a free concert in Woodinville!!!
I'll listen twice as hard, once for you and once for me!
What a perfect job. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. You really are blessed, but why wouldn't you be?
You are living a good, pure, obedient life, and that is very important.
Post a Comment