Thursday, May 8

So the job search continues...

I don't know what the deal is. I am a very confident, capable and captivating person. I have been job searching for almost 2 weeks. Yes, I have had 2 job offers, but I am not going to settle for positions in a dirty office with unreasonable employers, or jobs that pay dirt with bad hours. I'm just not. Call me picky; I am.

My first preference would be to work in a dental office. I am passionate about teeth. I love mouths, enamel, plaque, blood, enflamed gums, sharp metal tools... the whole bit. The picture below probably grosses you out. Well it excites me! That is the difference between you and me. Because I am not an RDA (Registered Dental Assistant) it is difficult for me to find an employer. Especially since I would leave 2 months after being trained. I understand where dentists are coming from. They want an investment.

My second choice would be to work clerical/reception. Noelle's job sounds pretty good to me :) I want to work somewhere I feel valued. I like to make a difference in the world, so understandably, I want a job where I gain fulfillment and can take pride in my work. I am a very detail oriented person. You wouldn't believe how many employers inquire about my "scrap booking and quilting hobbyist" on my resume. That is second only to "World jump rope champion." People laugh at me. But do I care? NO! Because I know it's cool and they are missing out BIG TIME!


I enjoy interviews. I like stepping into an office where there is a sense of excellence and mastery. Playing the game of first impressions is fun for me. But the most fun comes when I turn the tables and begin asking the interviewer details about the position, and methods of the company. This was probably pretty rude of me, and I won't do it again, but it was sure fun today: Once I'd decided there was no way I'd be willing to work for CA Enterprises, I asked, "What is your company's declared marketing mission and projected financial balance?" and, "You said that your company is global, what is your market research team doing in terms of generating international goals for the next calendar year?" I didn't even know what in the world I was talking about... :) Since I knew they would not become my employer, I couldn't pass up my chance to have a little fun! The good news is, I am gaining lots of research and interviewing skills and learning the value of having an education when applying for jobs! Hopefully there will be a post exclaiming SUCCESS in the NEAR future! Have you ever been on a wild goose chase for a job search? Did it work out in the end?

5 comments:

Noelle said...

Great post Stef! I am sorry you haven't found something yet, that can be so frustrating. At least you're interviewing though, that's something!! Wow, you were brave to ask all those questions to your interviewer...how did he/she respond? That teeth picture really grosses me out.

Julie T said...

Yeah, that picture excites you all right- but there's the negative panic-excitement too! Do you really think a hygenist could help that situtation much? I am very glad you know your worth and commend you for holding out for something you can be happy with. I'd still look at Apple and ask them the hard questions- I think they'd love it!!! Im confident you'll find something good!

NatalieD said...

Would you consider working in a convalescent center? I did it right after high school, and while the work was hard, I enjoyed helping the residents.

Becca said...

yeah, the picture grosses me out, but that's why I want to be a nurse and not a dental assistant. :) I don't get grossed out by blood or guts, but the whole "in the mouth" thing is too much for me.

Heather said...

sick pic, Stef. Good luck on the job hunt!