I got a really nice email this morning from my boss. On our way up to the Community Service retreat several weeks ago, he asked me when I started loving service. That conversation somehow transformed into our family mission statement... Casey has led a rough life and has quite the story of his own. This email came as quite a surprise being weeks after the short, 5 minute conversation. His curiousity and desire to learn from others to improve himself and his family life is impressive to me. I hope I can better follow Casey's example by taking advantage of the incredible opportunities around me and by filling my life with the very best things. There is so much opportunity to learn! This semester especially (I guess just this month) I have been inspired to "seek learning" every single day. It is so fulfilling and empowering to be able to learn, understand and retain so much information that can better our lives and help us serve others more fully. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such incredible people who are trying to live the principles of the gospel and come closer to Christ. Here at BYU, but ANYWHERE really, there are people who can bless our lives with their examples, experience and insight if we will just seek it! Please take advantage of time and the stage of life you are in by heeding our prophet's counsel to "put forth great effort and to use your best talents to make your way to the most wonderful future of which you are capable." I know that as we fulfill our responsibility to "seek learning even by study, and also by faith," (D&C 88:118) we will become better and happier disciples of Christ.
Here is the email:
> Hi Stefanie,
>
> Thanks for all you do and your wonderful attitude always. I am so
> impressed with you and your family mission statement. Could you email it to me?
>
> Thanks
> Casey Peterson
>
> Director, Center for Service and Learning
>
> Brigham Young University

This is prettymuch the only picture I have of Casey...
Here is my reply:
Hey Casey,
Here it is:
The mission of our family is to be an eternal family by:
Building loving uplifting relationships with each other;
Faithfully observing our covenants and duties;
Taking personal responsibility to do good, and
Developing the skills to accomplish our goals.
I have learned to love and live by this mission statement growing up,and it has truly given me purpose and a sense of fulfillment as I strive to live by the principles therein. The frequent and sincere repetition of this mission as a family not only helps us prioritize our lives, but it has created unity that each member of our family feels even now as we have left home and lead completely different lives. My junior year in high school, I worked on forming what I have discovered to be my personal mission. Consequently, it is very personal to me, but I would be happy to share it with you over a meeting sometime if you are interested. I think it gives a lot of insight into who I am and it helps me focus on who I am becoming every day! Thanks Casey for your constant, selfless example of service and for being such a friendly and approachable boss :)
Stefanie
3 comments:
Very cool Stef. I'm glad you're loving your job so much and that you get to work with such motivated, selfless people. Sounds like a dream job!
Those were great comments! It shows that you realize notes, lectures and book learning are only a small fraction of what is possible out there inasmuchas every person is an impressive compendium of so much knowledge and experience - and we can learn something important from every single one out there! Your boss sounds very humble and thoughtful.
You go, girl! You never know just who you might influence with your positive example!
Post a Comment