Tuesday, September 22

The PROPOSAL: the extended version :)

I am engaged!!! I can't even believe it!!! I am officially engaged to Scott Whittle Hathaway! I thought the ring would take 14 more days and he'd probably propose in October, but he did it last night on his birthday! It was such an amazing time :)

We went out for a nice dinner at the Bombay House (Indian food!) at 7pm. We had me, Scott, Beana, Vess and Angie, Dane and Korine and Kylie and James. It was perfect. The food was amazing and we just talked and laughed and partied. Scott opened his first present (board shorts which turned out to be really great) and every dish was amazing. We sang happy birthday and Scott even got a free Indian dessert.Beana (Scott's sister) called me on Saturday to start planning a surprise birthday party for Scott. I was in charge of distracting him while she went to set up the lights and get the food all ready for the party. Genius. So I was on board to give Scott his second birthday present (An I love you picture book) while she set up, and while all the friends who came to dinner drove up the canyon to hide in the trees. The surprise party spot was a clearing just past Aspen Grove up Provo canyon.

Just as we were finishing up at dinner, Beana took a phone call from work. She is a family therapist in Salt Lake. She left the table in a rush, and when she came back, Beana announced that one of her girls had just attempt suicide. She told us that this is the second time for the same girl, and gave details that sounded really believable. I thought I was the only one who knew that this was just an excuse to go get the birthday party set up, but it turns out everyone else knew it was a lie because Scott was about to propose!

When Scott went to the bathroom, I quickly confirmed the times and directions with all the friends around the table. They are such actors! So after dinner I took Scott to Canyon Glen park to read through the love book. We read through each page and looked at all the fun pictures together. We had snapshots from our first date, our trips to mexico and canada and just lots of us dating. We're talking like 55 pics, each with a reason why I love Scott! (Ahh, I can't BELIEVE I am looking at this sparkly SPARKLY ring while I type :) AH!) So after that, I put a blindfold on Scott and began the dark, windy road up to the surpise party site. Little did I know, Scott was the one scheming...

I followed the directions Beana had given me, and then she and her assistant/friend Rhett met me on the street to direct me to the clearing. Beana's like "You took longer than planned getting up here, so everyone has found really really good hiding spots. Don't even worry when you don't see anybody..." So I'm like "okay okay" and kept guiding the blindfolded Scott through the forest. Don't worry, he only got close-lined by 2 tree branches and poked about 20 times... my bad. I was so concerned with having the surprise birthday party go as planned, that I was not even thinking AT ALL about any proposal. As far as I knew, some Amber girl from Corona was doing a special order ring that would be ready in 14 days. Scott and I had a 3:30 appointment to go approve the wax model the following day... Anyway, we get to the spot, beautifully decorated with sparkly lights throughout the trees. Everything was perfect. So in my loudest, clearest voice (so all our friends in the bushes would hear the cue) I counted before I took off the blindfold. "One, Two, Three!" And nothing happened... I was pretty darn confused. But it was just such a beautiful moment, I guess I just assumed that everyone would give us a moment together and then pop out in like 10 or 15 seconds. Well Scott acted like this beautiful set up was the big surprise. "Stefanie, oh my gosh this is so great!" And I faked taking credit for it... which is so funny because Scott is actually the one who did it! So when people still weren't popping out I just kind of improvised saying "Happy Birthday, I love you so much!" and all that jazz. Still, nothing was happening, so when I ran out of birthday sentiments, I just kept kissing him over and over again. Good idea right? Well after about 3-4 minutes of all this (my time perception may be a little off) I said "Surprise!!!" And then it happened. Scott said, "Actually, I have a surprise for you!" Scott probably remembers the next part a little better than I do... I just remember screaming and feeling so SO excited. In my mind I was thinking, this better not be a joke! As he got down on one knee, I quickly took off the rings I already had on and shoved them in my back pocket. Scott told me why he loved me and then asked me to marry him! I was SO SO HAPPY and of course said "YES!" Scott was crying a little bit, and I was just SO SO excited! But through that whole thing, I was aware that Beana was hiding in the bushes taking pictures. I could not have been happier :)

So Scott and I took 5-6 minutes together, and then Beana came out turned on the flashlights she had jimmied up into the trees and took some actual pictures of us. It was so SO fun! Beana sent an "It's safe" text to our friends from dinner and they came right up.

Group hug with all the friends!

Scott had his laptop all set up, ready to play my favorite Jim Brickman music after he popped the question. Beana got out the bubbly and we poured drinks and had a toast to our future. Everyone was just so thrilled (and freezing) and I was definitely still in shock. Turns out Angie and Korine had spent the day setting up with Scott. I am SO THRILLED that they are all going to come to our wedding on January 2, 2010 in the Seattle temple! I didn't have my phone on me, but Beana quickly handed me hers so I could call my mom :) (So Mom, praise Beana!)

*It is so great because unknowingly, my roommate Alyse and I got manicures on Saturday morning. Alyse (on my right) had really rough feet from a summer in flip flops, so she went to get a pedicure. Since I was already there with her, I just decided that instead of sitting around for 45 minutes, I'd go ahead and get a manicure. Was that a good idea or what???
Thankfully, Scott drove home down the dark, windy roads, and we just talked endlessly about all the lies and secrets we'd been keeping from each other the past few days. I was up calling and texting people and celebrating with my roommates. They are so supportive and so fun! I got to bed around 3:45am and basically slept through my 8am class. What are you gonna do?

It was so much fun to have the proposal be an experience of our own, but then to have our friends there to celebrate with us right away! Scott even invited my friend Marcie up (So fun to have you Marcie!) and to the Fab 5, you know I love you!

I LOVE YOU Scott and I am so excited to marry you for eternity!!!

24 comments:

NatalieD said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What a story!! But I would expect nothing less from Scott and you. And, you're getting married on Noelle's 25th birthday--1-2-2010?!?!? That way you won't forget her birthday and she won't forget your anniversary. (Gorgeous ring, by the way!)

Noelle said...

Thanks for writing out all the details, that is such a fun proposal story. I can't tell you how glad I am it all turned out to be a surprise for you. :) Scott is a sly one....

Natalie, good memory! You totally remembered my birthday :) Yes I'm happy to share that big day with my SSSister Stef.

Love you Stef and can't wait to meet Scott. :)

PS My favorite part of the story (Aside from your beautifully LONG nails) is the part when you said in your loudest and clearest voice "ONE TWO THREE!" And then took all the credit for making the woodsy wonderland :)

Shawna said...

What a wonderful engagement story!! Stefanie thinking she's so cleverly surprising Scott and then Scott clinching it with the surprise of a lifetime!

I love your RING!!! How great that the wedding will be on Noelle's BD too.

Heather said...

It's all just like a fairy tale. I have to admit, before noticing your ring, I was awed by your lovely fingernails.

Now I can hardly wait to meet my kids' new uncle!!

I'm just so stinkin' excited!

Alison Spencer said...

Stef, that was a fantastic story. I can't believe you're engaged!! Congratulations again. And good eye Noelle, those nails are looking long... :)

Lisa said...

That is so funny! I totally noticed your nails in your profile picture and I was so proud! I love the ring, I love the story and I love YOU!!! I'm so excited for you! <3 Lisa

kiki comin said...

hope you don't mind me sneaking in on your blog. i saw the great news on noelle's blog and thought i'd stop on by and say congrats. good luck with all the planning, but most of all congratulations to both of you..what an exciting time!:)

Hermana Whitehead said...

Congrats, Stefanie. What a great story to tell your kids and grandkids.

Becca said...

Congratulations girl!!! :) SERIOUSLY!! SO awesome! Your ring is GORGEOUS and it's so cool you're getting married on Noelle's birthday.

I love this story!!! So fun! :) love ya!

JacqueRae said...

Stef-
Congrats- we are so happy for you!

Ed said...

We are SO EXCITED for you! You and Scott are a great couple. Love the ring!
-Vala'dee & family

Anne Pearson said...

Oh Stef. I am SO happy for you!!! I'm kind of embarrassed but I cried when I read the details of your proposal. I'm just so excited for someone I love so dearly to marry someone that she loves so much. Stef Tanner you are the WOMAN!!!! IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

Lysee said...

Congrats Stef- I love hearing the story every time!

I am pretty impressed that my name was mentioned in this post. Just wanted to say that I now know the secret to great feet after my first and (most likely) last pedicure. They charge an arm and a foot for those things- haha. So if any of you are needing some advice I am your woman.

Glad that the mani/pedi adventure happened at such an opportune time- your hands look simply stunning.

Love you!

-Alyse

Sandra and Brent said...

Holy Cow . . . the engagement story to end all engagement stories! I would expect nothing less from you, Stefanie! Congratulations to you and Scott. Did you know that my parents have worked in the Seattle temple for the past 16 years? Second week of every month. Beautiful temple. Beautiful couple. Beautiful story. Love ya, Sandra

Abby Marie said...

Did you HAVE to mention all those kissing parts???? GROSS. J/K! YAY! I'm soooooo happy for you guys and I love you both!!! Congratulations!

Suzanne said...

Stef! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. That is a fantastic story - serious points to Scott for rigging that all up! From one planner/lover of secrets to another, I'm impressed. Congrats again!

Margene said...

We told Scott if he took a girl to mexico with him. He had better plan on marrying her. (the curse of Mexico) So I have wait almost a year for this day. We are thrilled to have you in the family. congrats on the up coming wedding. You will love your in-laws as we do. congrats again.

Margene said...

We told Scott if he took a girl to mexico with him. He had better plan on marrying her. (the curse of Mexico) So I have wait almost a year for this day. We are thrilled to have you in the family. congrats on the up coming wedding. You will love your in-laws as we do. congrats again.

Janssen said...

GREAT story! Congratulations!!!!!

Tara said...

that is a hilarious proposal story. but I can honestly say that sounds like the perfect way to propose to you, haha. are you having a reception in seattle around the wedding date? because I'll be around...and it would be fun to see you!

Julie T said...

You know, I was so excited about everything else and wowed by the beautiful ring, I forgot to mention your nails have never looked lovlier! I'm proud of you! Keep it up over the next 12 weeks so they can look as good or better over the wedding! And Scott-please do us a favor while the details are fresh of writing out YOUR version of how it all went down...you will enjoy the differences later, I promise!

sas said...

Stefanie! haha! This makes me so happy! I don't know Scott, but he must be an AMAZING person to be worthy of you! I'm so happy you found that special someone! That is the cutest engagement story too--

you are beautiful and I love you!

love,

sas

Bryan Tanner said...

Cool Story Hansel!

Marcindra LaPriel said...

I love you heaps

and you have more comments on this thing than on any blog I've ever seen.