Tuesday, August 11

SNOWBIRD '09 Part I

Snowbird was SO much fun, as always :) This was definitely a transition year, with Melissa getting married, missionaries coming home, and cousins who are doing different things with their lives... what an exciting time! I took most of the pictures on our Mt. Olympus hike and at Cecret Lake this year, but we did lots of other fun things too.

Sunday: Church in the mountains is AWESOME :) We had our family testimony meeting after church this year which was incredible. Scott and Bryan came up for dinner and games!

Monday: Swimming, cards, chatting, otter pops... this was a classic Snowbird day :) And then we went to the dollar theater for the documentary "Earth" and to Cottonwood for the annual BBQ. Bry and Scott met us there for some burgers and volleyball.

Tuesday: What a mess. We got up at 5 something am for a hike up Mt. Olympus. I didn't really want to go, but my cousins pressured me and promised I would have fun. This is the before shot with Mt. Olympus in the background. I started the day thinking, "hmm, that's just a little hill, no problem!" and wondering why we stopped at Dans for water...
4 hours later, here are the girls at the top of the mountain. This is the third mountain I have summated this year, and honestly, I don't desire to ever do it again.
Maybe if I had 4 liters of water instead of 1, some moleskin, a good breakfast in me, and about 20 degrees cooler temperature it would have been a little more fun. But actually, I don't think so. It was STRAIGHT UP the entire time. I thought I was going to die. I liked how Allie put it on the way down the mountain: "I REALLY hated hiking up this mountain, but I REALLY hate hiking down." Seriously, even going down it was so steep, and so hot, and so many falling rocks to scramble through... it was miserable.

Anyway, that night we took short naps and went swimming before Melissa's bridal shower. We had fun tying her a quilt and learning about her love story. I am so excited for Melissa- Tyler truly adores her :)

And Wednesday to Saturday will be posted soon!

2 comments:

Heather said...

You tellin' me you hiked Olympus in your CHACOS? You crazy, girlfriend!

Noelle said...

Yeah good thing you posted a picture of your battle-scarred feet so we can really appreciate how miserable it was. That does sound like a lot of peer pressure. Given the same situation again, would you give in or hold your ground?