Wednesday, May 6

Cinco de Mayo

I realized at 5pm yesterday that it was Cinco de Mayo. To think, I didn't even listen to Selena or eat a chip all day! Well don't worry. When I got home from class in Salt Lake, I found a party to crash- complete with a whiteboard for Spanish hang man, and the best part, a handmade pinata strung up in a tree! The photographer almost captured the game of hangman which we are all gesturing toward...
I did a little salsa dancing to get into the spirit of Mexican heritage and pride. Did you know that Cinco de Mayo does not celebrate Mexican independence (common American misconception) but instead commemorates the day when the outnumbered Mexican army beat the French at the Battle of Pueblo?
fyi: I think this description makes the night sound more fun than it actually was... but anytime I wear that Peruvian house dress (I don't like to call it a muu-muu) it is a blog-worthy experience!

5 comments:

Elyse Marie said...

I made it to the blog! Yee haw! And I'd just like to state that it is, in fact, a moo moo. But you can still rock it.

Noelle said...

I'm so glad you dressed up for this event. Love the dinosaur pinata, how fun. We still haven't broken our pinata. It's been too rainy. I'm pretty sure it's a "muumuu" (of Hawaiian origin...)

NatalieD said...

Where there's a party, you'll find it!!

Bryan Tanner said...

That is one cool looking pinata!

(I wish I could have crashed a REAL Mexican party; their food is always superiorest!)

Heather said...

Yes, we finally did break our pinata, and it was a big hit. Tanner really took out his aggressions on the poor thing.