Saturday, December 6

"Hanging out" friends.

I had a classmate help me adjust my turtleneck today. She is 43 years old. I have never seen a more fashionable 40 year old in my life. She is not a teeni-bopper, and she is not an old phogie. Holly Madsen is CLASSY.

When I got to class today, Holly and I were wearing the same sweater. I had my turtleneck all the way up (as opposed to folded half way down...) but when I took a seat next to Holly, she folded it a third the way in (toward my neck) and told me it won't itch and it will stand up tall and have a nice, soft edge... Wow. Some people put so much reasoning behind each fold. I'm just glad I can learn from the best!
I am usually not friends with the 40 year old "weirdos" that join us young college kids in class. They are usually pretty ostracized- but sometimes if there are a few above 40 in the same class, they kind of band together. Holly is an exception. I have several friends in that English class, but she is far and away my favorite.

I am happy to tell you that I am currently planning a classmate gingerbread party during finals week. Turns out... I really like my friends! And I want to upgrade my "school friends" from this semester to actual "hanging out" friends. I want to show these people I've shared an entire semester with that I really do care about them, I don't just use them as company on campus twice a week. Here are the guests on my roster:

(This remainder of this post is primarily for my own records, so If you just look at the pictures I don't blame you...)

HFL 105:
Stephanie- She is one of those sad, married cases. She got married 2 years ago, teaches primary and has no friends....
Lisa- FUNNY girl. Shares several, long personal experiences in class.
Caitlin Leavitt- Friend from home
Trisha- Had her baby last week. I've been tracking her pregnancy since September

English:
Laurie Angell- Cutest girl I've ever met. CURLY hair and part of BYU Dancer's companyRachel- So funny and blunt.
Katie Staples- She's obsessed with ancient pyramids in Mexico, and Guatemala.
Holly Madsen- CLASSY 40 year old :)
Justin Rover- Theater boy. Wow baby. He's a lot to handle. Likes neon colors and brings me snacks to class.
Peter Grant- Married man whose mission is to help all people get married.
Ashley Bradshaw- On the soccer team, kind of flaky, but very nice.

Marketing:
Meegan Small- Janessa's roommate who never listens, and always plays Sudoku.

(Meegan is on the left.)

D and C:
Brian Swiendelhurst- He's in my ward. Thank goodness Scott held my hand at the Halloween party- Brian hasn't asked me out since!
Trent- On the service council. He makes raps to concepts Brother Bott talks about in class. We chat about the center and make music video storyboards.
Emily Woods- Turns out we have several mutual friends. She joined the church 2 months before coming to BYU.

Seminary:
Megan Dance- My roommate! It's fun to actually see her sometimes. Engaged people...
Samantha- We have common recreation friends. And we volunteer together at RAH sometimes
Roger- He means well. Just a nervous boy.
Rob Crosher- He has his scriptures out and ready before class begins. He loves the gospel, and just may be a little over-eager about the whole seminary thing. Oh Rob...
Jonny Maruji- He dated my friend once upon a time. Now Jonny and I are tight. He's picked up some jargon from my friend/his roommate Ben Ford
(Don't be jealous that I have an Asian, punk-rocker friend...)

HFL 345:
Rachel Quada- She is best friends with Jeremy. We both love crafts and sew our own pants. She will actually be the one interviewing me for EFY. And she is lending me her glue gun :)Sierra Cho- Married my friend John. Naturally, we are friends now!
Natalie Reese- We get kind of antsy about an hour fifteen into class. The 2.5 hour class is a long one, and we keep each other sane.

Polynesian Dancing:
I think I am friends with every single person in that class. Megan Bird, Katie Jo, Brooke, and Kelly are clearly my closest friends... but I will probably end up inviting 20 people from this class alone. I better get baking gingerbread!!!
It is very important that I get to class early/on time so that I can be sure to have a little chatting time with my friends.

4 comments:

Hermana Whitehead said...

You have quite the eclectic group of friends. You're a magnet for fun people, Stefanie!

Noelle said...

Make it easy on yourself, do graham crackers. Trust me. :)

Heather said...

Fun bunch. GOod luck with the gingerbread.

Bryan Tanner said...

I love Caitlin's foto. Terrific composition.

You didn't tell me Jon and Ben are in your seminary class! Are they both serious about it?

Did you know that I home taught Sierra Cho? You should ask her what she remembers from my visits with Zack.