Tuesday, December 23

The Center Changed My Life.

The Center for Service and Learning had an office meeting the other week. We were asked to respond to the question, "How has your association with the center changed your life?"

And it got me thinking...

My job is a place where PEOPLE INSPIRE ME.
From the full time staff to student employees, the Service Council, Program Directors, volunteers, to the people we serve. Every single person has such good motives and is trying to come unto Christ.

The director of the center and both coordinators love service and they love the Lord. And it shows in the way they lead. They strive to administer well as a precursor to effective ministering. The student employees seek a working environment where they feel valued and make a difference. I have never felt like just a number, or another employee, but a member of an organization who people care about. I always get a friendly greeting and have conversations with people who care about my joys, fears, and stresses. There have never been a greater group of 7 people than those on the Service Council. Nate, Trent, Kelsie, Bethany, Sam, Drew, and Catherine sacrifice everything they have and more to lead our student body in service. Their positive attitudes and pure desire to help others find happiness inspires me every single day. The Program Directors work with volunteers. They are at the crux of BYU's interactions with the community. They recruit volunteers, connect with community partners and get out to make a difference. Our volunteers are fantastic. The center would be nothing if it weren't for so many sincere individuals who seek to share their time and talents with those around them. Whether it is assisting disabled people in riding horses, building a home for the less privileged, or reading with a first grader, our volunteers do make a difference.

And it changes the way they live. Every time a student walks in the door and tells me they want to serve, I am proud. It makes my heart happy to know that busy, stressed out students want to make time to serve others. They recognize that as we go out of our way to help others, we can experience true love and gain a greater appreciation for the Savior, our perfect example of lifelong service.

It has changed my life to associate with such awesome people, the tip-top of BYU students, really. I may leave Provo for holidays, summer breaks, or even study abroads... but I always come back. I am addicted to the center. The people there have truly changed my life.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You definitely got a better college job than I did.