Here is an example that will hopefully illustrate my point that as a culture, we label things. Do words too often get in the way of what we really think?
I started taking Pre-natal vitamins this week. Yeah, you got it. I am actually very embarrassed to be posting about this, but that is the entire purpose in my writing. To convince myself and my readers that although my pills are called "pre-natal," really it is just a healthy thing to do regardless of the scary plastic tag on the bottle.
Maybe you didn't know, but pre-natal vitamins are simply multi-vitamins with some extra iron. They are "specially designed to supply important nutrients to meet the needs of a woman's body before, during and after pregnancy." Did you see that word "before?" Well a Women's Studies faculty told me at a Campus Life presentation that it is a good idea for females to start taking these vitamins at age 15 or 16... well before planned conception. The nutrition facts on the side of the bottle teach me that Pre-natal vitamins contain Vitamins A-E, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Iron, Zinc and Calcium! (Calcium, mom!)I am far, far happier with my new label: Vitamins. I am taking these vitamins to get all the essential nutrients my body needs, and to help my hair and nails grow faster. They had sort of been on my mind since that Campus Life presentation, and when I passed them in the grocery store I decided to get over the title, and start treating my body to a little extra iron!

I look a lot happier holding a bottle called "vitamins" huh?
Wouldn't it be sad to miss out on nutrients my body needs just because my mind associates the term "pre-natal" with "having a baby?" What if you missed learning from a great teacher just because they are labeled as a "hard-grader?" What if you forfeited awesome memories with friends just because the event was called a "waffle party" and you don't like waffles? What if you skipped your opportunity to have a dear friend because you initially considered them "ugly" or "too cool for school?" What if you skipped reading a fantastic novel because the cover looked boring? What if you never tried broccoli, one of the greatest veggies ever, just because they have a bad reputation among children? Then you would sure miss out...
Look into your life and see what is holding you back from the vitamins, the teachers, the friends, the books, and even the broccoli that could very well bless your life.

7 comments:
My, my, my! Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Swiftly fly the years-- when did my little one grow up so fast right before my eyes and gain such wisdom? You are sounding suspiciously like my 28 year old daughter, Heather! I must admit you have an excellent point! You do make a good point. I will get back to you after trying my next ugly vegetable and learning that I do actually like it or make friends with the next Penelope or Gertrude in Relief Society so that I can properly thank you!
Can I just say I LOVE broccoli--always have and I think I always will. It's definitely the best veggie out there :)
I take Ferrous Sulfate too!
I solved the problem by taking 3 chewable kids vitamins--can't stand to swallow pills!
You are so smart to take pre-natal vitamins. There, I said it! I am a firm believer in vitamins especially for the extra nutrients and iron, which I have been deficient in since I was younger than you.
Um, did Bryan say he takes prenatal vitamins too?
Good for you - a rose by any other name would smell as sweet and all that.
The only thing I don't like about prenatal vitamins is that they're horse pills. But, on the upside, it does FORCE you to drink more water.
No, I believe Muerte is taking the small iron tablets I gave him about 3 years ago!!! I just bought Vitamin D-3 today and will take a few softgels a week because some days...I don't get out much. And we all need 20 minutes of sun a day to do the trick. Children today are once again developing Rickets, if you can believe that!
Post a Comment