The term "best friend" is an interesting one. If you asked me right now who my best friend is, I would answer without hesitation: Kiersten Petesch. Have I seen her in the last 3 years? No. Do I know where she lives right now? No. Do I know what she is doing with her life, let alone the daily concerns and joys that a best friend should know about? No and no. But Kier and I were best friends during our formative years. We learned how to be friends together, and we shared countless experiences that I will never, ever forget.
(Thanks to Facebook, this is Kier's senior pic... sorry I don't have old files on me...)
Since my days connected at the hip with Kiersten, I have had several people become incredibly special to me. These people have earned the title of "best friend."
A best friend is someone who knows me well enough and loves me sincerely enough sacrifice for my well being. Isn't that what life is all about? Learning to love and serve others without concern for your own self? Isn't that how Christ showed us how to live? I hope I am that kind of friend to the special people in my life.

*Disclaimer: My family (namely, dad, and cousins included) really are my best friends, but for the purpose of this blog, they don't count.
Cara-
Out of everyone on the jump rope team, I chose Cara to be my partner. I was drawn to her smile and her crazy, quirky ideas. We learned how to jump rope together starting at age 5. We bonded through the pressure of competition, and through "extra practices" to earn respect from fellow jumpers, our head coach, and other elites in the jump rope world. Our pairs routine qualified for Nationals in second grade. That qualifier in Boise was probably the most exciting day of my life to this point!!!
Kelsi-
4th grade was a good year. Kelsi and I rocked Mrs. Davenport's class, and had a fun time leading class games and reeking havoc on the playground. She got me hooked on the game Life, and together we loved Claire's jewelry and air chairs.
Cassy- What an honor to "jump up" with Cassie. I got to move up 2 age divisions and jump with the "older girls!" They pushed me in the gymnastics arena and motivated me to do my personal best in speed, and in all aspects of my life, actually. I spent hours and hours in the gym with Cassy every day, and we always had more to talk about and stories to swap. We wrote each other colorful notes and traveled together all the time.
Tiffany-
Probably the epitome of "best friend." People called us "Stiffany" we were so tight. We synchronized our 10th grade schedules and literally spent every waking moment together from seminary at 6am until homework was over at 11pm or midnight. We sucked up to our teachers, went on a cruise to Mexico, and probably averaged 3 sleepovers per week that year. Wow.
Jessica-
She taught me to have class. We dress in black and shop at Nordstrom. I haven't really kept that up, but Jessica did teach me that when you look good, you feel good. She is truly a charitable person and showed me how to serve everyone around me. We gave "heart attacks" to single mothers in the ward, baked things for widows and rocked out to Jim Brickman. The greatest pianist known to man :) We had fun on the freeway and rode the ferris wheel at the Seattle Center. We practiced parallel parking and we took road trips to Chelan.
Megan Dance-
We met in a jazz dance class at BCC. We're both those "weirdos" that peaced out of high school and started Community College at age 15. I love Megan's love for life and enthusiasm in daily living. She makes me happy! Being roommates this semester is working out great! Even though she's engaged. :)
Ali-
I would say our friendship is "enduring." We met freshman year, really hit it off and then were even roommates in New Zealand. While we lived together, Ali really knew me. She knew what I was thinking and feeling, and she knew how to help me figure things out. Ali taught me the phrase "not a big deal." Ali is a lot like my dad. My life got more complicated once they met and used their synergistic forces against me :) Ali and I are alike enough that we have things in common, but different enough that we balance each other out. Ali will be part of my life forever.
Out of everyone on the jump rope team, I chose Cara to be my partner. I was drawn to her smile and her crazy, quirky ideas. We learned how to jump rope together starting at age 5. We bonded through the pressure of competition, and through "extra practices" to earn respect from fellow jumpers, our head coach, and other elites in the jump rope world. Our pairs routine qualified for Nationals in second grade. That qualifier in Boise was probably the most exciting day of my life to this point!!!Kelsi-
4th grade was a good year. Kelsi and I rocked Mrs. Davenport's class, and had a fun time leading class games and reeking havoc on the playground. She got me hooked on the game Life, and together we loved Claire's jewelry and air chairs.Cassy- What an honor to "jump up" with Cassie. I got to move up 2 age divisions and jump with the "older girls!" They pushed me in the gymnastics arena and motivated me to do my personal best in speed, and in all aspects of my life, actually. I spent hours and hours in the gym with Cassy every day, and we always had more to talk about and stories to swap. We wrote each other colorful notes and traveled together all the time.
Tiffany-
Probably the epitome of "best friend." People called us "Stiffany" we were so tight. We synchronized our 10th grade schedules and literally spent every waking moment together from seminary at 6am until homework was over at 11pm or midnight. We sucked up to our teachers, went on a cruise to Mexico, and probably averaged 3 sleepovers per week that year. Wow.Jessica-
She taught me to have class. We dress in black and shop at Nordstrom. I haven't really kept that up, but Jessica did teach me that when you look good, you feel good. She is truly a charitable person and showed me how to serve everyone around me. We gave "heart attacks" to single mothers in the ward, baked things for widows and rocked out to Jim Brickman. The greatest pianist known to man :) We had fun on the freeway and rode the ferris wheel at the Seattle Center. We practiced parallel parking and we took road trips to Chelan. Megan Dance-
Ali-
I would say our friendship is "enduring." We met freshman year, really hit it off and then were even roommates in New Zealand. While we lived together, Ali really knew me. She knew what I was thinking and feeling, and she knew how to help me figure things out. Ali taught me the phrase "not a big deal." Ali is a lot like my dad. My life got more complicated once they met and used their synergistic forces against me :) Ali and I are alike enough that we have things in common, but different enough that we balance each other out. Ali will be part of my life forever.My Aunt Donnette recently suggested that I instead focus on the phrase "dear friend." This title denotes a sense of closeness, but it is not ostracizing to others who learn that contrary to their own ideas, they are not in actuality top dog.
Just in September, I kind of started a new phase of life. Life without a best friend. I can't remember a time like this, ever. I am so grateful for the freedom it has brought. I am exploring my independence. It feels free and exciting, but I do miss the companionship and connections that come with someone I can call my "best friend." Noelle says maybe my next best friend should be a boy...

8 comments:
I really enjoyed the concept and content of this last post! You had more close friends through the years than any of the others in the family. I'd forgotten there have been so many and I'm glad there were, esp being the youngest child-you needed them more with your siblings older and leaving...Now the challenge is to continue adding them as we've learned from Marci. You can never have enough friends!! :)
Hey Stef,
I was reading your blog and hoping for a picture of the new haircut :) I loved reading about your various friends. That is funny Ali is like your Dad. She must be great. I am excited to see who your new best friend will be.
Amen to Donnette. You did have a lot of best friends, but dear friends are wonderful as well.
As for boys, well, there's plenty of time. There's nothing like being married to your best friend. The one you rush to with your heartaches and your joys. The person who enhances everything in your life. I'm so happy to be counted a dear friend to you.
I'm glad to be counted as one of your friends Stef. I feel like my life is so uncomplicated right now that it would be pretty easy to wade through it; no need for swimming.
Thanks for being one of my friends, Stefanie!
My "dear friend" Stefanie,
One of the finest compliments a writer can recieve is to know that her (or his) writing has changed or influenced someone. I am proud to know that occasionally I have the priviledge of inspiring you.
Good on ya for having so many "dear friends." I am grateful for the friendship we have and absolutely beside myself with joy that we get together so much more now than we did in New Zealand. Thank you for dropping into my life and making an effort to stay there.
Thanks Stef. :)
Lots of love to you!
Post a Comment