Saturday, October 25

Inner Conflict

I really don't know how I feel about this and I want your feedback:

I was leaving class the other day when the kid I sit by told me to "take it easy." I suppose I've heard that phrase before, but the way he said it, I just had such a reaction. Thankfully, I held my tongue, but I just wanted to tell him, "No, I'm not going to take it easy, I want to push myself!"

So then I thought about it for a while. Just the idea that I need to constantly be pushing myself and my limits. Doing hard things is hard! It may not be the most convenient or bring the most pleasure, but I am convinced that it does bring the most happiness. Happiness is real. It is lasting. It is deep. Happiness is a way of life. And I don't think "taking it easy" is the best way to reach that goal.

But at the same time, the phrase "take it easy" could mean, "don't overwork yourself." If there is one thing I learned in New Zealand, it is about the flexible, "no worries" lifestyle. Maybe my friend told me to "take it easy" because he sensed that I need to loosen up my schedule and make time to relax. I believe that when we plan recreation into our lives, we can more fully enjoy the work, the fun, the people, and the memories.

What do you think about the phrase "take it easy" now? I wonder if my classmate had any idea he caused such turmoil in my head :)

4 comments:

Shawna said...

Setting goals, doing hard things and feeling the joy of accomplishment is great. It also has to be tempered so that one does not "steamroll" over others on the way to accomplishment (people over programs kind of thing). I embarrassed myself in my college days by telling an ardent suitor that he just didn't have enough ambition. And then another would-be suitor called it quits with me and told me that I was too aggressive. Thankfully not too aggressive for Lee! So we all have different ways of going about life, and just need to cultivate an awareness of others' needs. Your post about abandoning studies so you could enjoy Bridal Veil Falls tells me you can stop to smell the roses!
This is a good time to get the things done that seem important to you, because when you become a mom, you get things done, but just not the things you had in mind!

Noelle said...

I think you're overanalyzing here. ;)

This guy was probably just a surfer that uses phrases like that just as he would "dude" or "cool dawg" etc. "Good on ya" you know...

I like that you push yourself to do hard things but I honestly doubt this guy even thought twice about the words he was using, rather just the fact that he got to say something to a pretty girl.

NatalieD said...

The way I see it, sometimes it's good to "take it easy" and sometimes it isn't. Only you can determine which way is best for you in each and every situation. There--the monkey's back on your shoulders! I love you, Stefanie!!

Heather said...

I'm with Noelle. It was unintentional, I'm sure he didn't ponder on the meaning of his words. You can't always live Hakuna Matata and put your past behind you. Build on what you were to become something better. There's gotta be somethin' bettah, something' bettah . . . .