Tuesday, October 7

The After Effect

I was lucky to spend the weekend with my family (and actually several friends) in Salt Lake. Six months ago I watched 1 session of conference with the saints in Dunedin, New Zealand and the other sessions on low volume during a bumpy RV ride up the coast. This was a far more focused experience and it's always great to actually see it live! Here is a snipit from each session:

The girls did grandma's nails during Priesthood session. Wow.

Saturday morning: Elder L. Tom Perry taught that when our lives turn to hard directions, we ought to live optimistically and faithfully. I reflected on the idea of living simply and have been motivated to establish my own "Walden Pond." I have really come to believe over the last few months that the way I dress affects the way I act. I will strive to never wear a hoodie to school this semester. I may fail, but I hope to take school seriously and dress in a way that reflects my excitement to learn and be taken seriously :)

Saturday afternoon: David A. Bednar continued his talk from 6 months ago on principles of prayer. He taught that meaning comes as we 1. Counsel with the Lord in all we do, 2. Express heartfelt gratitude, and 3. Pray for others with real intent and a thankful heart. For a whole 2 days now, I have taken his challenge to use morning prayer as an opportunity for spiritual creation. All things were first created spiritually, so it makes sense to let morning prayer guide the temporal creation, or in other words, the actions of the day.

Music and the Spoken Word: Would it be bad to say that I enjoyed this more than the session that followed? Well it was just great to be there for this broadcast and feel the spirit through music. I LOVED hearing "from the crossroads of the west" about the eternal principle of love. I think I needed to hear that there is no need to allot love only to those I feel comfortable with, or those who love me first, but to just give love, unconditionally. Is there a greater way to follow Christ than to love those around us? Of all the gifts I've been given, and all those I could give away, nothing compares with love.

We braved the wind and rain for Saturday conference in SLC.

Sunday morning: Robert D. Hales gave a great talk. Not only because he gave a shout out to blogging (did anyone else notice that?) but because of one specific sentence he said. I have a strong personality and definite opinions, so I have to consciously work to befriend ambivalent people or those who just let life happen. "Meekness is not weakness; it is the badge of Christian courage." I have a lot to learn about meekness and appreciating people who may not be as outspoken or involved as I am.

Sunday afternoon: And how could I do a re-cap of conference without touching on gratitude, a constant theme of all the apostles' talks? Following Elder Packer on how obedience guides us through troubling times, Russel M. Nelson spoke on gratitude and happiness. I learned that some of the very best things in life take time, and patience. Patience does not mean waiting, but actively doing good and taking responsibility for yourself. Bryan and I had some GREAT pesto pasta and sandwiches while we pretended to be law students between Saturday sessions.



What did you learn from conference? How are the the truths that were taught going to change your life today?

4 comments:

Noelle said...

You guys are lucky you got in on the law luncheon! how fun. You kind of look like law students! Great recaps of all the sessions Stef, I love the nuggets you got out of it and I love to see how you apply them so well into your own life. Way to go!

Heather said...

Loved this post - thanks for sharing your favorites. I totally thought of you when the gen. YW prez said her motto was, "I can do hard things."

Bryan Tanner said...

VOTE FOR OBAMA!

"It's time for Change."
--President Monson, Sunday Morning.

Julie T said...

You weirdo! You, you with the long hair and glasses! Great summary, Stefanie! I am actually seeing the Sun afternoon session again today and am starting up my Blessings/Gratitude journal. I am also committing to looking at each person as you did those sisters in prison and ask myself, "What might she need? What little (or big) thing can I do for that person that might be appreciated?" I am also studying the scriptures with a plan, asking all kinds of questions and making personal applications.