Adri CarsonStephanie Solberg
Tim Ipson
Dantzel Stoker
Dustin Cenatiempo
Stephen Callister
Jessica McPheeJason Longhurst
Kelsie Laga
Alan Potts
Peter Hoyt
Maribeth Skousen
Kali Tracy
Spencer Kitchen
Erika Mackay
Amy Christensen
Erica Blein
Carmen PurnellKelsie Haderlie
Scott Dodds
Kelsey Moe
Stephanie Jackson
Amy Lambert
Gina Cannon
Camille England
Ruth Decker
Carly Palfreymen
Carly Taylor

Mindy Nabrotzky
Steve Van De Graff
Andrea Lundrigan
Jeff Kemp
Mike Fox
Aubri Cardon
Alicia Hatch
Megan Conger
Lisa Gasser
Jessica Morris
Jesse Gardner Geoff Bean
Sierra
Savannah Sessions
Mark Rowe
Katie Cannon
Nicole Adams
Pedro.
Emily "Girlfriend"
April Lindgren
Courtney Livingston
Katherine FHE
Amanda Smith
Tahnee DuMoulin
Greg Alldrege
Curtis Smith
Cassidy Northrup
Andrea Lundrigan
Jeff Kemp
Mike Fox
Aubri Cardon
Alicia Hatch
Megan Conger
Lisa Gasser
Jessica Morris
Jesse Gardner Geoff Bean
Sierra
Savannah Sessions
Mark RoweKatie Cannon
Nicole Adams
Pedro.
Emily "Girlfriend"
April Lindgren
Courtney Livingston
Katherine FHE
Amanda Smith
Tahnee DuMoulin
Greg Alldrege
Curtis SmithCassidy Northrup
Megan Dance
Vincent Powell
Vincent Powell
Zach Pugh
(These "friends" are categorized as people I have hung out with 2+ times)
If you ever doubt the fact that there is happiness in the world, just take a look at this list and you will see how many people are so in love and couldn't be happier! It's pretty cool to see who my friends are choosing for their eternal companions and how things all roll out. Some engagements are shocking, others are completely predictable, but they are ALL exciting!
Getting married is all the rage. Girls, boys, blonde, brunette, young, old... but mostly young. Young BYU kids. BYU is cool. I love it there. I love the school, I love the pride, I love the culture, I love embracing the bubble that is: Brigham Young University. There is something in the water. I don't know whether it's the fact that we pray for help to find our "other half" in religion class, or that ward budgets are based on marriage rates, but something is going on at BYU that motivates singles to drop that status and become eligible for the celestial kingdom.
My friends are seriously dropping like flies. My last boyfriend got engaged last night, my best friend/fall roommate on Monday and two other close friends this week. That's not to mention last week's happy announcements.
Expressing a bit of unbelief to Alison over the events of this last week, she told me, "Stefanie, welcome to your culture." I decided that's really true. I officially declare: It is part of mormon culture to marry young. It is part of mormon culture to have short dating/engagements. It is part of mormon culture to loose half your friends at age 19 if you're still single.
No 19-year-old (I am 19 in case you're wondering) should feel like a spinster or experience the feeling of "hopelessness." Regardless of the ridiculoucity (yeah, I made that up :) of that concept, it happens. I get over it in about, say, half an hour from when it sets in, but I know countless people just driven to find anyone who will interdigitate (hold hands), kiss and leave ring magazines laying around so that they're hopeful won't leave them as the unwanted, the last, the leftover girl.
I do not wish to take a stand on whether getting married young, and fast is healthy, considering I have yet to find my companion and don't want to "jinx" myself. But... I fall asleep wondering how people can commit the eternities to someone they haven't even known 6 months... I can't wait to discover the meaning of the phrase, "We just KNOW."
(All the couples pictured on this blog post are friends I had before they hooked up. I know the bride and groom separately...)
How long was it from the day you met your spouse to the day you got married?
What do you think is a healthy dating time span?
Can you BELIEVE that 59 of my friends are off the market as of this summer?!?!?

9 comments:
From the actual day we met until our wedding it was 268 days (aka 9 months.) Neither of us ever imagined us getting engaged to someone we knew less than 9 months. I still think the "know a person for 4 seasons" is a good idea.
Jeremy and I met in January and were married in April (one year later). We dated for 10 months before we got engaged and then were engaged for 5 months before we were married--so almost a year and a half :) I think it's good to know someone for a long time, but it really depends on timing. Everyone has different timing. I think that dating for awhile made us have less "surprises" when we were married--even though I think it's still a great idea to wait for a few years to have kids just to get used to being married :)
Anyway it all boils down to timing. I can't believe that many of your friends are engaged THIS SUMMER! Crazy!
What is that first couple actually doing??? And do you know them? Please don't feel ANY pressure! There is plenty of time and you won't have any problem getting married! But when you do, you need to be prepared to totally put their needs and wants ahead of your own or it just doesn't work very well!
8 months from meeting until marriage. Can't believe 59 of your friends--crazy! Thanks for our fun talk today.
You'll be "off the market" soon enough, Stefanie! Meanwhile enjoy and live life to its fullest. You'll have plenty of time to be married. Lance and I knew each other for 4 years and seriously dated for 9 months before we were married. We were the best of friends before we ever began dating, but one of us had a crush on the other to be sure.
I like mom's comment.
Love you.
I find the term best-fitting for this current phenomenon is, "Another one bites the dust." And, I can't wait until I get quoted on your blog again. :)
And PS; Pedro's last name is Estrada. :)
What can I say after so many astute comments! 59 friends all by itself is amazing, much less that many getting married!
Hey, Janet started a blog and you'll see her skydiving in it.www.janethilton.blogspot.com
Post a Comment