Saturday was one of the best days of my life. In efforts to thank my mentor Melissa, I told her the truth that I couldn't imagine any way I'd rather spend that day. Not even on the beach in Samoa. It was SO FUN to photograph a Philipino, catholic (traditional) wedding about an hour south of where I live. Christine and Sandy were so obliging and maintained low stress levels on their wedding day. What a pleasure to shoot! I learned LOTS about photography, and about basically running a wedding as I back-up shot with Melissa Jewel. She was so generous in letting me use her lenses and lights to get the shots I really wanted. It was hard shooting in the low-lit cathedral with no flashes allowed...
I knew some of these before, but discovered several new reasons why professional wedding photography is in my future!

Creativity- I can be creative and use my eyes and instincts for fresh ideas and lots of fun!
Scientific- I feel empowered to know and be able to adjust cameras and settings to fit a situation. It takes quick thinking and fast judgement calls.
I love to be outside- Most wedding photography is outside! I love to enjoy nature and capture human interaction in the real world!

Attention to detail- As a quilting, scrapbooking and painting hobbyist, I pay close attention to detail. This helps as I see wrinkled shirts, awkwardly turned shoulders, hands in pockets and heads that need to move over 2cm. These things just come to me!
I have an artistic eye- I'm an artist, what can I say?
My "red" personality is useful and even commended- weddings run on a tight timetable. Whether I'm proud of this trait or not, it is true. I know what I want and I thrive in settings where I can express that without be viewed as bossy or jerkish. It was SO cool to watch Melissa say exactly what she needed and when, in order to keep the show moving along.

I love computers and editing- Having seriously considered going into digital graphics, I LOVE this aspect of photography. It's great to be able to photoshop and balance picture settings and create amazing means of viewing memories. I just love it.
I love working with people- As I have recently been reminded in my filing job, I need people. I am a people person and I get so excited about good communication and understanding each other's points of view. I can handle streesed mothers and probably even BrideZILLAS :)
I like to have control of my time- I want to be my own boss. That's all there is to it. I like that I can schedule shoots and accept or decline weddings as I am so inclined.

Photographers are part of a group- I like being associated and united in groups. Photographers in certain regions sort of congregate and become part of a clique where they understand and relate to each other.
I'm pretty business minded- I can balance costs and benefits and have a good legal sense about me. Like dentists, freelance photographers run their own business. That's what its all about!

I talk freely- My ability to jabber didn't serve so well in Junior High, but I see it being very helpful as I attempt to put people at ease and capture real emotions and true feelings. Photography is about camera work, but that is all for naught if you're subjects are anxious or feel threatened.
6 comments:
First post honors. Not very often do I get this. Great photos Stef. I am so happy for your excitement about life at this point. You have reformed teeth, a prospect of learning about orthodontia, money in your pocket and an conviction to finish college, and you found something you can do on your own schedule that makes you happy and can earn you a lot of money - wedding photography. How does life get better than that?
Love, Dad
Great shots Stef! Nicely done. I wish I were in your shoes as far as the photography goes...
I'm so impressed - looks like you've got it made in the shade...
Loved this!
Terrific Job Stef. What an awesome first shooting experience!
You have a creative eye. I never would have thought to shoot the feet.
Awesome pictures, Stefanie. I love the picture of the bride looking out the window (and into the future). Beautiful. Looks like you have a future in photography, kid.
Great internal insights, too.
Your photos are gorgeous! Looks like your summer has been really exciting!
Post a Comment