Tuesday, June 17

The necessary evil...

I hate running.  I really hate it.  You have to commit at least an hour to the process, it's hard work, you have to shower/get ready again... the list goes on.  But, since working out is a necessary evil, I pick the gym over running outside.  Going to the gym gives you opportunity to vary your workout method, making it a bit more pleasurable.  There are other people there sweating and pushing themselves too, but there is no expectation to carry a conversation or match their pace like there is when you're running outside.  When I run on a treadmill, I can see exactly how far I've gone and gauge how much I have left.  I do better when I see where I am and can anticipate the end.  There are lots of distractions at the gym.  I can chew gum, listen to my ipod, watch tv, observe other exercisers, and even look in the mirror.  I actually like looking in the mirror as I work out because then I can see myself sweat and gain pleasure from knowing that I'm doing good things for my body.  I can also look at myself straight in the eyes and tell myself to keep going!  I like running on a treadmill because it is straight and flat, and because there is a spot to hold my water bottle and chap stick.  I don't even have to carry it, but still have easy access!  Treadmills don't let me slow down or take a rest, it pushes me to finish strong.  My shoes stay clean at the gym and there are mats right next to the treadmills so that I can just get on the ground and start with sit-ups and push-ups.  Now the question is, do these reasons justify buying a gym pass?  They're at least $150 for 3 months or so... Well, I wouldn't know, I'm just doing the 2-week trial :)
og010107q.gif

What is your favorite way to work out?  Do you prefer the gym or nature?  Any tips for tricking yourself into thinking it's fun?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am completely 100% a gym person. I can go for hours on my elliptical machine, but not outside running/jogging. I think the membership is worth it (if you are committed to go pretty often--cause then you loose money if you don't). I wish I had a gym membership here--I might try to get one (but it's only for about a month so I don't think many people will be willing to negotiate prices :) ).

Noelle said...

I love running in nature as long as it is the perfect temperature, I have someone with me to push me, an ipod and a reward to look forward to. The gym is good too, but our free gym just seems so far away. If you're gonna go to a gym make sure its closeby. The good thing at byu is they have one you can use for free in the RB

Heather said...

I think the only way to exercise is to do it while playing a sport. I'd always pick gym over just running.

Julie T said...

I'm not a gym person. I don't like fighting the traffic, the parking, finding the right open machine. I don't like being closed in. And I like being able to vary where I go and what I do. I would always pick sports over a gym. But the elliptical is good because you can vary the difficulty and it's not nearly so hard on the cartiledge with the pounding the treadmill requires. I would not sign a contract if there's any way you can take over someone else's for a month or two and really see. One or two weeks is not telling as far as real life goes. I lost about $800 on my membership as I was locked in for a whole year!