I feel justified in getting up for a drink, and even a little stretching break at my filing job. Nine out of 10 of the other employees take off every 20 minutes for a cigarette. Having been subjected to second hand smoke for over two weeks now, I did a little research into the hazards I face in the workplace. Here are some basic facts and stats of which we should all be made aware:
1. Smokers inhale about 15% of the smoke from a cigarette, the rest goes into the air.2. Each year 3,000 non-smokers die from lung cancer caused by secondhand smoke. I could be one of that 3,000 this year...
3. Opening windows is not enough, it takes at least 4 hours for smoke (from just 1 cigarette) to clear a room
4. The us environmental protection agency ranks secondhand smoke as one of the most dangerous substances known to cause cancer.
5. Secondhand smoke causes 30 times as many lung cancer deaths as caused by all other air pollutants combined.
6.Secondhand smoke is linked to 35,000 heart attacks each year in non-smokers
7. Smoke filled rooms can have up to six times the pollution of a crowded highway.
Let's face it, I am a "passive" smoker. Think I should quit my job?

6 comments:
Ha ha, nice stats. I think you're safe to finish out the assignment. What is it, 9 more days?
I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad! Thank goodness they cracked down on the airplanes as early on as they did! Right before I joined the church I worked in a small accounting unit where about 18/24 people smoked heavily. There were no windows and only one break to escape-I really felt the effects and was coughing badly. Had I continued there I probably would have needed to be hospitalized!
Just keep repeating $100 a day! Good luck. Take more breaks to get fresh air.
Wear a mask to work. I detest second-hand smoke, too, and was so grateful when Lance's dad quit smoking a few years ago.
Wear an oxygen mask.
I HATE being around smokers. Not only does it affect my lungs, but I can't wear contact lens after an hour. There's nothing worse! Glad you get to quit soon. Hold your breath.
Take your breaks outside away from the smokers. I will visualize you out in the parking lot doing calesthenics and stretching. You could take a jump rope I suppose and really draw a crowd. Hang in there
Post a Comment