Friday, May 16

I have a condition.


Migratory Glossitis. It is also known as erythema migrains and most commonly referred to as: Geographic, or continental tongue. Each episode (for lack of a better term) lasts a couple of days, and it comes between 1 and 3 times a month. The redish, greyish designs in my mouth vary in shape and size as they come and go. Sometimes my tongue gets very bumby, sometimes it has divots or little "hills" and sometimes it gets very, very puffy. It generally doesn't hurt, but I am always aware if it is present. The feeling goes from being numb, to just sore, and even a burning sensation at times. I avoid eating citrus and extremely organic foods like wheatgrass. It is a genetic condition, so thanks to one of my parents, I get to join with the rest of the .6% of Americans who "suffer" from the disease. Clearly erythema migrains are a benign trait in the parent who passed it to me... There is no cure for geographic tongue, but I plan to start taking Vitamin B supplements which are said to calm and reduce the occurancy of the condition.

Betcha didn't know much about migratory glossitis before now, eh? Do you have some kind of strange disease or allergy?

4 comments:

Noelle said...

I defintiely had never heard it called that before but I've your woes of "geo-tongue" as long as I can remember. All I can say is I'm glad the genetic disease skipped over me, along with the cold-sore gene. I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of, thank goodness. But I did have TB (maybe I still do) and that's worth writing about!

Anonymous said...

We had only heard it called a geographic tongue and didn't know the scientific name. It must be a Tanner thing though! My dad, emilee(hers hasn't been that bad though), and spencer all have geographic tongues too! As for me I don't have any alergies or diseases that I know of.

Heather said...

Thank goodness I missed out on that one. Love those earrings. They say to me: Hawaii!

NatalieD said...

Wow, you really have a "tongue depressor!" Not fun, but you have a great attitude.