Friday, June 20

Dale "the amazing" Chihuly


Dale Chihuly's work has presented itself to me several times in the past few years. He has incredible work at the Bellagio in Vegas, an exhibit near my dad's office in downtown Seattle, and actually finished an exhibition in Jerusalem, my next travel destination, a few years back. His work is really impressive, and to think, he does it with only 1 eye! Chihuly's outlook and methods of creating glass have really revolutionized art in the 21st century. He moved blown glass out of small, detailed objects to large-scale contemporary sculpture. Dale uses a team of creative people he's collected through his tour of 6+ art and design schools to refine previous works and create new, grandiose sculpture for indoor/outdoor beauty. He is especially good at doing pieces that resemble sea creatures and other forms of nature. I think I like his work because it is always colorful and usually very abstract. Dale uses colors, lines, and shapes in incredible ways that require my group to wait for me to ooh and ahh whenever we come across an exhibit of Dale Chihuly. If you have never seen his work in person, I suggest you google it and make a day of finding an exhibit near you!!!

4 comments:

Noelle said...

Ahh, you've forgotten the beautiful crystal chandelier/stalactite sculpture coming out of the rock at Sleeping Lady in Wenatchee! When you come out here make sure to stop by the Franklin Park Conservatory, there are some cool pieces in there as well.

Heather said...

I'd forgotten the bit about one eye. Thanks for that fun and informative post babe!

Hermana Whitehead said...

Colorful, beautiful, and unique art work! I really like it. The one that looks like transparent crowded anemones is really cool.

Heather said...

Belle and I just saw a Chihuly this weekend. Look for a pic of it in an upcoming post.